Probably the most prolific velocity cameras within the final 12 months REVEALED: A40 cameras in London snared probably the most drivers as research reveals 1.74m had been caught rushing in Britain
- We reveal the highest 10 sections of street the place most speeders had been caught within the monetary 12 months 2021/22 based mostly on police pressure knowledge
- Report by Confused.com says £45.7m in fines had been forked out within the 12 months
- Simply 457,232 of 1.74m drivers had been compelled to take a high quality and penalty factors
- Remaining 698,115 motorists caught opted to take a velocity consciousness course, which usually prices round £100 however imply no extra factors on a licence
Greater than 1.74 million drivers had been caught by velocity cameras on main routes within the final 12 months, with one on the A40 in North-West London snaring virtually 50,000 motorists exceeding the restrict, in keeping with a brand new piece of analysis.
Motorists snapped by police-enforced roadside cameras had been made to fork out £45.7million in fines within the monetary 12 months 2021/22, says Confused.com.
Some 30 years after the primary ‘Gatso’ appeared on British roads, the investigation revealed which cameras at the moment are most prolific at catching drivers who’re travelling quicker than the velocity restrict.
Knowledge obtained from police forces present that these are the stretches of street the place probably the most drivers had been caught rushing by cameras within the monetary 12 months 2021/22
The comparability web site despatched a Freedom of Data request to all 46 police forces in Britain relating to the variety of supposed prosecutions for rushing offences captured by cameras of their areas.
Confused mentioned 36 forces responded with figures, which means the 1.74million offences doesn’t paint the complete image of what number of drivers are being caught out by velocity cameras every year.
The offered knowledge exhibits that some areas are extra prolific than others.
In accordance with the numbers offered, common velocity cameras on the 40mph stretch of the busy A40 in North-West London between Lengthy Drive and Welland Gardens are probably the most prolific.
These common velocity cameras heading into the capital have caught 49,050 rushing drivers within the final monetary 12 months alone.
Common velocity cameras on the A40 heading into London are mentioned to be probably the most prolific at catching motorists over the restrict within the earlier monetary 12 months, in keeping with an investigation by Confused.com
Cameras on the M25 in Surrey and M4 close to Bristol observe with over 41,000 rushing offences mixed.
High 10 sections of street the place drivers are mostly caught rushing
1. A40 between Lengthy Drive and Wellands Gardens E/B: 49,050 supposed prosecutions by Metropolitan Police
2. M25 Junction 7-16, Surrey: 23,134 supposed prosecutions by Surrey Police
3. M4 Junction 20-19, Bristol: 18,317 supposed prosecutions by Avon & Somerset
4. A5460 Narborough Highway, Leicester, Jnc with Fullhurst Avenue: 16,634 supposed prosecutions by Leicestershire Police
5. M6 Junction 1-4 (Northbound and Southbound): 15,410 supposed prosecutions by Warwickshire Police
6. Garston Manner/ Dock Highway, Liverpool: 15,295 supposed prosecutions by Merseyside Police
7. M5 Junction 4a-6, Birmingham: 15,062 supposed prosecutions by West Mercia Police
8. A282 Dartford Tunnel Method Highway: 14,423 supposed prosecutions by Kent Police
9. Lewes Highway, Brighton, Jnc with Coldean Lane: 14,172 supposed prosecutions by Sussex Police
10. M6 Junction 7 & 8 N/B, Birmingham: 12,762 supposed prosecutions by West Midlands Police
Supply: Confused.com FOI request to UK police forces for variety of velocity digicam offences in monetary 12 months 2021/22. 36 out of 46 UK forces responded with knowledge
The A5460 in Leicester and the M6 close to Coventry rounded out the highest 5 roads the place motorists are more than likely to be flashed by a velocity digicam.
Regardless of so many drivers being flashed by roadside cameras, the info offered by the police present that solely 457,232 had been compelled to take a £100 high quality and three penalty factors on their licence.
As an alternative of a high quality, 698,115 drivers opted to take a velocity consciousness course, which usually prices round £100 for enrolment however sees individuals escape having factors added to their licence, which might doubtless have brought on their insurance coverage premiums to extend.
In accordance with Confused’s analysis, there are presently greater than 1,300 working rushing cameras policing our roads.
Additional analysis by the comparability website – involving a ballot of two,000 drivers – discovered that nearly half (44 per cent) have obtained no less than one rushing high quality prior to now.
Nearly 1 / 4 (24 per cent) of these caught rushing confronted a high quality, with the common rushing penalty totalling £181.70.
Confused mentioned the rising price of dwelling ought to be one other incentive for hard-up motorists to scale back their velocity, with fines and penalty factors a double-blow on funds.
Whereas latest evaluation exhibits that transferring from having zero to 3 penalty factors on a driving licence has little impression on automobile insurance coverage premiums, rising from three to 6 is will end in far costlier cowl.
That is doubtless why virtually a fifth (18 per cent) of drivers polled within the research say they selected to attend a velocity consciousness course over a high quality and three factors.
Commenting on the report, Confused’s automobile insurance coverage skilled, Alex Kindred, mentioned: ‘A worrying variety of drivers are being caught on the roads for rushing, whether or not it’s by Gatso cameras or different velocity cameras.
‘In the event you’re confronted with a rushing high quality, there’s an opportunity it might be calculated based mostly in your wage, and could also be heftier than you first assume.’
As an alternative of accepting the high quality and three factors, 698,115 of the 1.74million drivers caught rushing in 2021/22 opted to take a velocity consciousness course, police knowledge exhibits